Ketamine Therapy For Migraine Treatment
Ketamine Infusions are an exciting new method of treatment for migraines and their associated symptoms. First developed as an anesthetic, Ketamine has found new life as a valuable depression treatment in the last decade when infused at a low dose into the bloodstream. Research shows that up to 85% of patients will experience relief from their symptoms when treated with a series of Ketamine infusions.
What is a Migraine Headache?
Migraines are a form of severely painful headaches. They may be preceded by sensory warning signs or other symptoms, and are often recurring. Migraines can last for hours or sometimes days at a time.
Up to 36 million Americans (that’s around 12 percent of the population) are impacted by migraines, but people aged 15 to 55 years are most at risk for migraines.
- Some people suffering from migraines are able to identify triggers such as allergies, light, or stress that are causing or contributing to their headaches
- Quite often, people experience warning symptoms before the migraine starts.
- Full-blown migraine attacks can be prevented if the warning signs are recognized early enough and preventative action is taken.
- Some over-the-counter medications can reduce the symptoms associated with migraines
- There are also treatments specially for migraines, such as Ketamine infusions
What are the types of migraines?
Migraines fall into two distinct categories, usually classified by experiencing disturbances of the sense (known as auras) before the migraine.
Migraines with auras
- Auras may appear as a sort of warning that a person is about to experience a migraine. An aura is described as experiencing the following:
- Seeing sparkling or flashing lights
- Seeing zig-zagging lines
- Blind spots in vision
- Pins and needles sensations in arms or legs
- Trouble speaking
- Stiffness in the shoulders and neck
- Unpleasant odors
There are also more serious symptoms that should not be ignored, especially if they are infrequently experienced by the person:
- An abnormally severe headache
- Visual disturbances
- Loss of sensation
To further describe the strange ways aura affects vision, the person affected may see transparent strings of objects or other lights that are not actually there. They may also be missing parts of their field of vision or not seeing objects in front of them. These sensations are sometimes described as similar to being exposed to a bright camera flash up-close.
Migraines without auras
Up to 90 percent of migraines occur without experiencing any aura or sensory disturbance leading up to the migraine itself.
What treatment options are there for Migraines?
There is no real clue for migraines, but there are treatments that can relieve the symptoms. Examples of lifestyle changes that can help reduce the frequency of experiencing migraines include the following:
- Sleeping well
- Stress reduction
- Drinking enough water
- Regular physical exercise
Some people also report that certain diets, like gluten-free, can help reduce the symptoms of migraines.
Is Ketamine Therapy Right For You?
If you are interested in learning more about our Ketamine Infusions for Migraines in Alexandria, VA, or Fairfax, VA, contact us online or call 703-854-9390 and schedule your consultation today,